Orlando Divorce Lawyers

(407) 956-2172

Orlando Divorce Attorneys | Name Change


How do I go back to my maiden name after divorce?

If your name was changed when you were married, you may return to your previous name upon divorce. Your request to change your name must be included in your petition for dissolution of marriage if you are the petitioner (the spouse filing for divorce) or in your answer and counterpetition if you are the respondent.


Failing to properly plead (request) a name change in your divorce will likely result in your married name continuing to be your legal name even after divorce. If you want to change your name after divorce, it is a technical and potentially expensive legal process.


If you want to return to your previous name, our Orlando divorce lawyers will properly request that your legal name be changed to your previous name as part of your divorce case, avoiding a separate costly legal name change petition. Call us at (407) 956-2172 to discuss all of your divorce options.


There are many things to consider when deciding to change your legal name as part of your divorce. Some people, particularly those who have been married for a long time, prefer not to change their names because of all of the headaches involved in updating records, accounts, social security cards, credit cards, etc.  Others prefer to change their legal names back to their previous names either out of preference for their previous names or to help put divorce behind them. It's really a matter of personal choice. Our divorce lawyers will be happy to help you decide whether you will change your name back to your previous name or keep your married name.


If you are facing divorce, there are many details such a name changes to consider. Contact our Orlando family lawyers to discuss all of your divorce options. (407) 956-2172



Divorce Questions?

We'll contact you to
discuss your case.

Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship and you should not submit confidential information.

Brown & Rice, P.A., serves clients in the Orlando, Florida, area, including the cities of Kissimmee, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Winter Springs, Longwood, Sanford, Deltona, Davenport, Lake Buena Vista, Deland, Daytona Beach, Mt. Dora, Ocala, Belleview, St. Cloud, Poinciana, Lake Mary, Apopka, Clermont, Maitland, Windermere, Heathrow, Lake Nona and Oviedo, as well as Orange County, Seminole County, Volusia County, Marion County, Lake County, and Osceola County.


© 2016 by Brown & Rice, P.A. Orlando Lawyers All rights reserved.

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy


Brown & Rice, PA

2003 Curry Ford Rd

Orlando, FL 32806

(407) 956-2172

Stephen Brown on Google+